Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Up and running with PS and Git

Today’s post by Phil Haack mentioned using powershell over git bash. Up until now I thought I had to use git bash to communicate with github and use git. I like the idea of using powershell. it falls in line with other windows conventions.
So I finally got it all up and running. To start I had to edit my profile script and replaced my explicit path to git set-alias git "c:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git.exe" with a general path to $env:path += ";" + (Get-Item "Env:ProgramFiles(x86)").Value + "\Git\bin".  This allows access to all the executables in the git directory!
Next I installed PsGet. Which is dead simple. After that I cloned posh-git to my user folder and ran .\install.ps1. This updates my powershell profile with a link to some ps scripts by Keith.
I finally fell like I have a command friendly command line perfect for development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment